Saturday, November 27, 2010

Turkey Lurkey

As I sit here smelling the savory essence wafting in from the kitchen I try to think of when my first prejudice against Thanksgiving started.........
When I was little I liked it, going to Grandma's house, then Grandpa's, then Grandma Great's. Having turkey, dressing and mashed potatoes 3 or 4 times didn't bother me.
Watching TV or playing games while the grownups cleaned up and talked.

When I was around 13 we started having one of those Thanksgiving's at our house. I suppose that might be when I first started disliking it.
Don't get me wrong, I like Thanksgiving as an idea, the principle, or meaning behind it. I wholeheartedly think that we need a time to think about and reflect on our blessings and things God has given us.
What I do not like, at all, is the emphasis put on food.
You see, I am not a fan of food. I like it okay, will fix it, even enjoy fixing it, but it is almost a bother sometimes. We spend 2 days cooking a meal that is over in 20-30 minutes. To me it is not really worth it, not even counting the hours spent cleaning up.
But, I enjoy it because other people do, and I am thankful for my wonderful family.
I am also thankful for my mother who is a wonderful cook, that she took the time to teach my sisters and I how to cook, and also taught us that food isn't the most important thing in life.

So, there you have it. My Thanksgiving spill. It may seem silly, but that is my thought process for every year haha.

be thankful,
~noel

No comments: