Saturday, October 9, 2010

love and tears.

You know you love something when you would give up anything for that thing.
(to clarify, I am going to use 'thing' in place of a person, dreams, actual things, animals, etc)

Nothing else seems as important as the importance and well being of that thing.
Sometimes when you think about the thing you love an ache blossoms in the middle of your chest, and your throat gets clogged up.
Tears come easily in reference to this, whether of sadness, joy, or missingness.

I know that love is an action, but it also causes certain feelings and emotions.

Love is unconditional.
Meaning that you love without expecting anything in return.

This thought led me to thinking about my love for God.
I am still trying to process this, but it is breaking my heart; I don't love God unconditionally.
Yes, I love Him. But I expect things from Him. Such as; peace, blessings, protection, wisdom, direction, and, if I was being completely honest, I expect Him to make me happy.

Would I still love God if He didn't give me anything in return?
This is a sobering question.
I should.
I should love God because He loves me, He created me, and He sent His son to die; for ME.
That is enough.
That is more than enough.
More than anyone or anything else has EVER given me.

*from the mind of Noel Boyd

2 comments:

Megan Leeann said...

Hmmm. Thought-provoking.
You asked a lot of questions that have been running through my mind lately. Thanks for being honest as you shared what's been on your mind. I've been pondering this quote in relation to my relationship with God:
"Measure thy life by loss and not by gain.
Not by the wine drunk, but by the wine poured forth.
For love's strength standeth in love's sacrifice
And he that suffereth most hath most to give."

Megan Leeann said...

- Ugo Basi
:)